Applying for a Visa

Applying for a Visa

For all non-European nationals who wish to work in the UK, you must first obtain a visa which will grant you the right to enter and work in the UK.

  • If you are already in the UK on another type of visa, you may be eligible to ‘switch’ to a visa which will permit you to work for the University.
  • If you are outside the UK, you must obtain a visa in advance.

For individuals who do not hold the right to work but who have been offered a job at the University, in most cases we can help you obtain a visa. This is usually through the Tier 2 (General) visa route, although there are other options as detailed below.

Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)

The Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) scheme is for exceptionally talented individuals in the fields of science, humanities, engineering and the arts, who wish to work in the UK. These individuals are those who are already internationally recognised at the highest level as world leaders in their particular field, or who have already demonstrated exceptional promise in the fields of science, humanities and engineering and are likely to become world leaders in their particular area.

Further information can be found on the Government website.

Tier 2 (General)

If we have made you a job offer and you do not have the right to work in the UK then the most common route for you to get the right to work in the UK is under a Tier 2 (General) visa. In order to gain this visa, you must score a minimum number of points against required criteria.

For full guidance on Tier 2 (General) visas, including details of the application process, please see the government website.

Tier 4

If you already hold a Tier 4 student visa, you are permitted to undertake limited employment on top of your studies. However, legal restrictions apply on your ability to work as directed by UKVI and even greater work restrictions may apply depending upon which Higher Education Institution you attend.

For full details and restrictions that will apply, please see the guidance on the government website.

Note: Students on Tier 4 visas who have completed their course can apply to move into Tier 2 (General) if they have been made a job offer.

Other visa routes

There are a variety of other routes through which non-EEA nationals can gain the right to work in the UK. Further details can be found on the website.