Brexit Information

Brexit – Information for Staff – Current and Prospective

Here at the University of Lincoln, we welcome thousands of new members to our community each year with the benefit of sharing views and ideas from all around the globe. As the UK has now left the European Union and as we continue to understand new details/rules as they emerge we will use this page to keep you up to date with the latest information, advice and guidance.

“We actively seek to create One Community where, whoever you are, wherever you come from, you are part of our University and you can be safe enough to be challenged and supported to grow and develop. ‘Wherever you are from, Lincoln is your home – a base for discovery, learning, and exploring your world and your future.’ (University of Lincoln – One Community)”

Key Dates

  • 31st January 2020 – UK left the EU
  • 1st February – 31st December 2020 – Transition Phase
  • 1st December 2020 – Government Introduction of New Immigration Rules
  • 31st December 2020 – Final date for individuals to be resident in the UK to apply to the settlement scheme for pre-settled status
  • 30th June 2021 – Final date for application to the settlement scheme for pre-settled or settled status


Frequently Asked Questions

1. Recruitment and Prospective Applicants - Background to the new UK Points-Based Immigration System

Freedom of movement between the UK and EU ended on 31 December 2020 and the UK subsequently introduced a Points-Based Immigration System (PBS). The new system treats EU and non-EU citizens equally. Anyone coming to the UK to work, excluding Irish citizens, will now need to apply for permission in advance; this will normally be in the form of a visa, passport or status under the EU settlement Scheme if resident in the UK before 31 December 2020.

The following individuals do not need a visa for the UK, but do still have to prove their right to work before employment can commence:

  • British Citizens (but notBritish Overseas CitizenBritish National (Overseas) or British Protected Person)
  • EU/EEA/Swiss nationals resident in the UK by or before 31st December 2020
  • Non-EEA nationals with Indefinite Leave to Remain/Settlement in the UK

2. Prospective Applicants

a. How will Brexit Impact my Immigration Status and Right to Work

EU/EEA and Swiss Nationals (arriving in the UK after 1st January 2021) and Non-EEA nationals (arriving in the UK after 1st December 2020) and joining the University will fall under the new Points Based Immigration System (PBS) and require an appropriate work visa in advance of travel to the UK.

 Candidates may already have a ‘right to work’ in the UK through a Family visa, Ancestry visa or Global Talent visa for instance. However, for applicants who do not already possess a ‘right to work’ they will, in the main, require university sponsorship to apply for a ‘Skilled Worker visa’ or a ‘New Entrant visa’ under the new PBS.

 EU/EEA Nationals can continue to evidence their right to work in the UK by providing their passport (and/may also opt to provide their share code if they have a status under the EU Settlement Scheme). Noting however, that whilst the University are currently not required to check an individual’s existing right to work visa/ status under the EU settlement scheme, candidates who do not have a right to work may be refused entry to the UK upon arrival and it is therefore important that you check your right to work status against the Governments Right to Work calculator prior to application.


b. Skilled Worker Visa

The University may be able to sponsor candidates to enable them to apply for a Skilled Worker visa’, which replaces the ‘Tier 2 general route’, or a ‘New Entrant visa’ under the new PBS. The purpose of the Skilled Worker visa is to enable workers to come to the UK to take up a specific skilled role, listed under the ‘eligible skilled occupation’ with a Home Office-approved sponsor.

Such visas require candidates to meet a certain set of criteria to enable the University to apply for a ‘certificate of Sponsorship’ on the candidate’s behalf. It is important that candidates ensure they have sponsorship eligibility as the University may not be able to offer sponsorship if a candidate does not meet the required 70-point criteria.

To check eligibility for a Skilled Worker Visa please visit: UKVI Calculator

If the University is able to sponsor a candidate to subsequently apply for a work visa, please note that this does not automatically confirm a visa and an individual’s application for entry clearance or leave to remain.

For advice please visit the independent immigration advice service, as regulated by the Immigration Services Commissioner OISC.


c. Global Talent Visa

Awaiting information and guidance


d. Visiting and Shorter-Term Visas

Awaiting information and guidance


e. Will my EU qualifications be recognised?

Candidates utilising a recognised PhD qualification awarded by an overseas institution to meet PhD points to qualify for the Skilled Worker visa, must first verify the qualification as genuine and equivalent to a UK PhD through UK NARIC. The UK NARIC reference number will be used as part of the certificate of sponsorship application.

The HR department will let you know if you are required to apply for a UK NARIC reference number.


f. What costs are involved in securing a legal right to live and work in the UK?

Charges for international candidates to secure a legal right to live and work in the UK are outlined on the government website and include for instance; visa fees, NHS immigration health surcharge and PhD Naric confirmation:

The University currently operates an interest – free visa loan scheme for Home Office application fees and associated legal advice regarding securing a legal right to live and work in the UK.


g. What timescales may I need to be aware of?

It is important to factor additional timescales into expectations regarding joining the University, beyond those of travel/relocation plans. For instance:

  • If a candidate requires a UN NARIC code to confirm a PhD to meet the skilled worker points criteria – up to 30 days
  • Confirmation of a Certificate of Sponsorship – up to 30 days
  • A greater number of applicants now require a visa to work in the UK, visa processing times are currently approximately 3 weeks for candidates outside of the UK and potentially 8 weeks for candidates within the UK


h. What tis the process for securing a right to live and work in the UK?

Upon appointment

3. Information for Current Colleagues - the EU Settlement Scheme and Tier 2 Visas

The University recognises that this may be a challenging time for many in our community, particularly those from the EU, EEA or Swiss citizens and those currently on Tier 2 visas who may be concerned about the changes. The HR department will continue to update the HR information pages to highlight relevant information, where to seek further guidance and support, along with the availability of wellbeing services.

a. Settlement Scheme Application Process (EU, EEA and Swiss nationals resident in the UK by the 31st December 2020)

Colleagues who are EU, EEA and Swiss nationals resident in the UK by the 31st December 2020 can still apply for settled or pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme to continue to live, work and study in the UK after 30th June 2020

You (and your family) will still need to apply for settled or pre-settled status. Once you reach five qualifying years, you may then wish to apply to update your visa to settled status.  The EU settlement scheme application process is free for all applicants.

If you have not been resident in the UK for five years you can apply for pre-settled status.  Once you reach five qualifying years, you can then apply to update your visa to settled status.  The EU settlement scheme application process is free for all applicants.


b. How do I apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

The EU settlement scheme is open, and we encourage colleagues to apply as soon as possible.  Individuals must have been resident in the UK by 31st December 2020, with a closing date for application to the settlement scheme being 30th June 2020.


c. What if I have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, British or Irish citizenship, do I still need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme?

You do not need to apply if you have: indefinite leave to enter the UK, indefinite leave to remain in the UK, British or Irish citizenship (including ‘dual citizenship’). See

However, if you choose to apply (and meet all the other conditions), you will receive ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’ – also known as settled status.


d. WI am a Non-EU/EEA colleague with an existing Tier 2 visa, how will the new immigration system affect me?

Existing visa rights will continue until renewal is required and at which point either a Certificate of Sponsorship under the new Points Based System will be necessary/ an alternative visa sought, where appropriate. The HR Department will support colleagues over the coming months and make contact with impacted individuals.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact the HR Department.

4. Business Travel - Travelling to EU from 1st January 2021

Other Brexit changes from the 1st January 2021 will include changes to all travel to the EU, with additional requirements for business travel. For full details see the following document:

Click Here

A reminder that all travel should be accompanied by a Travel Notification Form so that the relevant level of support can be put in place.

Pleas note: the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) has been replaced by the new Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) for more details see the following document:

Click Here

5. Help and Advice

a. What support services are available to colleagues?

We understand that the uncertainty surrounding Brexit can be a cause for worry and concern. Colleagues can access confidential personal support from the University’s Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) including in relation to Brexit, by phoning 0800 328 1437 from within the UK or +44 (0) 1482  661814 from outside the UK. Family members of staff can also access support through EAP.

Additionally, the government provides a number of routes to seek guidance on the application process should you require support in this area.

b. What guidance can I give my students?

Useful information for students can be found on the following university webpages:

c. My research is EU funded, where can I seek information/advice on this?

If you are working on an EU-funded research project and you are concerned about how Brexit might affect this, Research and Enterprise are able to deal with queries on an individual basis by contacting

6. External Contacts




  • Assisted Digital – This free service is available over the phone and in person if you do not have the right access, skills or confidence to complete the online application form. Contact We-Are-Digital by calling 03333 445 675. To check availability of this service and for more information, visit: uk/eu-assisted-digital


  • ID document scanning service – This service is available to complete the proof of identity step if you do not have access to the EU Exit: ID Document Check app. There may be an administrative fee to use this service. To check availability of this service and for more information, visit uk/eu-id-scanner-locations


  • Community support – If you need more help with your application, you can contact a support organisation. For more information, visit uk/help-eu-settlement-scheme



Manager Guidance



Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided here but this does not constitute legal advice and is subject to change. The University accepts no liability for content provided via third party websites.